Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad
One of my favorite things to do for easy meal prep is make large salads. They keep so well in the fridge and can be used for lunches, snack or a really quick dinner. I like to use ingredients that are in season, it provides variety throughout the year and produce tastes best when in season.
This Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Chickpea Salad, is one of my favorites. Cauliflower may not be everyone’s favorite vegetable, but it has had more of a spotlight lately. Roasting any vegetable brings out the natural sugars often transforming the taste and it is always wonderful. I would recommend if you do not love a vegetable try roasting it, often times it wins people over.
In this salad, roasting the cauliflower provides a slightly crisp texture, which is a really nice complement to the sweet, soft butternut squash.The apple cider vinaigrette can provide some acidity to the salad, it is a really nice complement, but completely optional. Roasted vegetables are so good in themselves you can also eat this without the vinaigrette. I hope you enjoy!
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1 – 15. oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4-5 green onions, thinly sliced
*Top with Apple Cider Vinaigrette if desired (recipe below)
Preheat Oven to 425 F.
- Place cauliflower and butternut squash in a bowl and coat with olive oil. Add salt and pepper. (I added 2 tsp of salt and a 1/2 tsp of pepper, but you can add more or less depending on your preferences.)
- Roast butternut and cauliflower for 25 minutes. While those are roasting you can make the vinaigrette, if using, and prep the green onions.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and place in a large bowl.
- Toss vegetables with green onions and chickpeas.
- Add vinaigrette if desired.
If keeping in the fridge for the week, keep the vinaigrette and vegetables separate and dress with vinaigrette before eating. When ready to eat just reheat vegetables in the microwave.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil**
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp of dijon mustard
1 Tbsp of honey
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Place all ingredients except olive oil into a bowl and whisk well.
- Slowly whisk olive oil into the bowl with the ingredients.
- Store in a mason jar or container in refrigerator.
*if storing in refrigerator you may need to reheat the vinaigrette into the microwave for 10 seconds or so because the olive oil will solidify
**Buying good quality olive oil is one of the key ingredients to a good vinaigrette. I recommend having a good quality bottle to use just for vinaigrettes ,and another lesser quality one for roasting and sautéing. While it is nice to use a good quality one all the time, I realize it is not in everyone’s budget to do so. Doing this will provide you with a really good dressing. Since olive oil is one of the main ingredients in a vinaigrette, it is difficult to make a good tasting one with a lower quality olive oil.