Coconut Almond Granola
Granola again…this recipe might be one of my favorites! I am an almond fanatic, I love them and I really love almond flavored baked goods. Almonds paired with coconut, and I am a very happy girl! This granola has added some brightness to the very, very cold days the East Coast has been having lately. The coconut will almost temporarily make you forget that it is winter if you close your eyes.
I gave this granola as a gift for Christmas this year. If you are looking for homemade gift ideas for holidays, housewarming, thank you, homemade granola is a really great idea. I think a lot of times we are inundated with cookies, cakes, bars, every sweet imaginable around the holidays. This granola can add a nice healthy counter-part to the cookies you also may have also just given your friends. Basically, I am like here is cake, cookies, and some granola to make you feel better about the first two. Ha! But in all honesty, I think it’s a great thing to make and share. The recipe can be easily doubled and it keeps so well in the freezer for later use. I hope the granola adds some brightness to the day for you like it has for me in this amazingly cold winter!
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup of sliced almonds, raw
1 cup of coconut flakes, sweetened or unsweetened
1/3 cup of ground flaxseed
1/2 cup of grape nut cereal
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1/3 cup of coconut oil or canola oil
1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large bowl place oats, almonds, coconut flakes, flaxseed, cereal, sugar and salt. Stir.
- In a small measuring cup place maple syrup, oil, and extract. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir. You want to coat the dry ingredients really well, do not worry about over mixing.
- Spread the granola mixture onto the baking sheet and spread it out into an even layer.
- Bake the granola for 22-25 minutes, until the coconut and almonds are golden brown and toasted.
- Store in an air tight container or freeze until later use.